Monday, June 6, 2011

Breaking the habit

I don't know about you but there's just something about summer that makes me want to be a better person. I subconsciously start breaking bad habits. I guess it's a little like spring cleaning for the soul. Most of the habits that I break in the summer aren't a goal that I set it just kind of evolves. Saturday night I broke a huge habit...I deleted my Facebook account. I still am in awe that I did it, I've been on Facebook since I was 16 and I've never contemplated getting rid of it.

Yesterday, Zach asked me why I decided to do it. and I couldn't answer him completely because I hadn't formulated any reasons, but now that I ponder on it...there are so many. I guess I'm a mom and a married woman, I don't NEED social networking. I loved seeing pictures of my friends and what's going on in their lives. It was always good to keep tabs on people and if something happened I could try and help almost instantly. Those were the positives of Facebook, but there were so many negatives that I can't justify keeping it.

1. I spent too much time browsing and seeing what everyone is up to.
2. I started to compare myself to everyone else....no bueno. I have a WONDERFUL life and although it may have it's ups and downs, I wouldn't trade it for anything.
3. People get nasty. I've heard and felt some pretty hurtful comments on Facebook, I think people are getting too open. There is no need to air ALL someone's laundry for the world to see, dirty or not. I felt myself being sucked in and I wanted nothing to do with it.

I think my favorite part about "deactivating" my account was the final page. It showed about 5 pictures of me and another friend and each had a caption that read "so and so will miss you", naming the friend in the photo:) It's nice to be missed:) Beneath the photos they asked for a reason why I was leaving. If you checked a box it would come up with several ways to overcome that and continue to have an account. I could help but smile.

I'm not going to lie. I feel the pull a little too often to get on. I think after a few more days I'll be used to not logging on. I love shedding the old and moving on with the new! It's a great feeling.



3 comments:

mrs_stailey said...

I know how you feel! I have contemplated doing the same thing. FB is too time consuming. You are a good mommy! And a good wife! Don't ever feel the need to compare yourself! You are awesome!

Janine said...

You're kidding me! I have been debating this too, a LOT. Reading your blog entry has decided me-- I'm kicking the FB habit. Whew. Thanks for sharing; don't ever quit writing your blog, I love it!

Brooke said...

Way to go Bailee! I deleted mine a few months ago. I have forgotten how many. FREEEEEEEE!!!!

I do however jump on Mike's once in awhile. But literally five minutes. It's like trespassing or something so I am quick about it :)